I am a journalist, a poet, a novelist and a playwright with a PhD in Russian Philosophy from the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń. I debuted in 2001 with a volume of short stories Baroness Late Autumn, after which I published another collection of short stories There’s No Monoin 2007. Since 2001, I have also written a series of poems (Things That Have Transpired, 2001) and novels (Fronasz,2012; The Cosmos in the Ritz, 2014; In the Mantle of the World, 2017). Slightlyaside from the mainstream contemporary Polish writers, I have forged my literary presence with works that reflect my vast interests in forms of consciousness and mechanisms of memory I also explore the capacities of narrative fiction to represent states of the mind and spiritual experience in order to challenge and refresh oldworld’sconceptionof what it means to be aware of the own human self. Partially, it my susceptibility to the extended mind (consciousness experienced outside the body) that makes memove the conventionally plot-oriented fiction to the realm of dreams, of the improbable, or the paranormal, which are characteristic of the mysterious and inexplicable nature of existence. In my other texts, I assume a female perspective, as for instance in The Queen of Rhubarb(2004) or inA Former Tsar’s Nine Moments of Spring (2015).
Since 2016 a lecturer at the University of Bialystok
Since 1992 a journalist in the Polish media
Since 2009 in the Polish Radio in Bialystok
I write books (storylines, novels, stories).
I deal with journalism.
I run radio programs (day and evening bandwidth).
I hostQ and A’s with writers,concerts, galas, occasional events.
I do sound editing.
I conduct workshops on creative thinking
2019 -A distinction for the the story „Box”! Recordings and did the demonstration works on January 9, 16 and 23 in the „My Books” magazine after 21.
„Beautiful dreams” story, translated by Kamila Walker, publicity: Beautiful dreams of Miłka O. Malzahn Translated by Kamila Walker, Walker, Kamila. „Contemporary Polish short stories in English.” AALITRA Review: Literary Translation Book 13 (December 2018): 85-101.
2018 – A distinction for the Tkaczeshort story during the Siegfred Lenz International Literary Competition in Ełk, Poland.
2017 – Reading of a fragment of the W płaszczu światanovel at the 13thInternational Short Story Festival in Wroclaw, Poland.
2015- The premiereof the Corridor drama based on my play which wins the Mirror Picture IllusionNational Dramatic Competitionin Łódź – the Municipal Theatre in Inowrocław, Poland.
2010 – A public reading of the Corridor drama, the BiałysztukFestival in Białystok, Poland.
2010 – A Weekend of Literature in Edith Stein’s House, the 5th Edition, Wroclaw, Poland.
2009 – The 15th Toruń Festival of the Books (XV Toruński Festiwal Książki), Toruń, Poland.
2007 – The 3rdArt of StorytellingFestival (III Festiwal Sztuka Opowiadania), Wroclaw, Poland.
2001 – The Gallery of Vision (a series of events combining photography and poetry;the first step to organize the May Poetic BoomFestival(Majowy Buum Poetycki) that is still organized) Toruń, Poland
2014 PhD in Russian Philosophy at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Poland; Dissertation Title: The Crisis of Art and Culture. Selected Problems of Nicholas Berdyaev Philosophy
1997 MA inPhilosophy at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń, Poland
1992 Theatre ArtsInstructor Diploma at the Higher Vocational School in Ciechanów
2018 A guest in the 23rdepisode of the Kronos TV –a program about philosophy; Subject: Women -Their Powers, Hopes and Needs;
2018 A host at 9thZebraneFestival inBialystok;
2015 A writer of scenariosfor cultural events, a master of ceremony and a host of a meeting with Salla Simukka, a Finnish writer (organized by the BiałystokCentre of Culture, the Foksal Publishing Group and the Embassy of Finland);
2015 A host at 9thZebrane Festival in Bialystok;
2013 A translator of some early achievementsbyNikolaiBerdyaev, a Russian philosopher (Kronos, 3/2013);
2017 – W płaszczu świata (In the Mantle of the World)– a micro-novel; Książnica Podlaska;http://milkamalzahn.pl/w-plaszczu-swiata
2015 – Dziewięć mgnień wiosnybylegocara(A Former Tsar’s Nine Moments of Spring) – a novel; Biała Wieża; http://milkamalzahn.pl/9-mgnien-wiosny-bylego-cara
2014 – Kosmosw Ritzu (TheCosmos at the Ritz)– a novel; Forma;http://wforma.eu/kosmos-w-ritzu.html
2012 – Fronasz (Fronasz) – a novel;Forma; http://www.wforma.eu/42,fronasz.html
2007 – Nie ma mono – Opowiadania są (There’s No Mono – There Are Short Stories) – a collection of short stories; Fa‑art; http://milkamalzahn.pl/mono
2004 – Królowa rabarbaru (The Queen of Rhubarb)– a novel; Fa‑art; http://milkamalzahn.pl/krolowa-rabarbaru
2001 – Baronowa Późna Jesień (Baroness Late Autumn) – a collection of short stories; Homini; http://www.bookinstitute.pl/ksiazki-detal,literatura-polska,6084,baroness-late-autumn.html
2001 – Rzeczy wydarzone (Things That Have Transpired) – a collection of poems; WOAK Toruń
Articles in Art Journals and Anthologies (Last Six Years):
2018 – Piękne sny (Beautiful Dreams) – a collection of short stories; to be published in the December 2018 issue of The AALITRA Review by Dr Kamila Walker, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
2018 – Fronasz i Martyniec (Fronasz and Martyniec) – a short story; the Fa‑artquarterly, (107‑110) 1‑4/2017; http://www.fa-art.pl/kwartalnik-fa-art/item/570-kwartalnik-fa-art-nr-1-4-107-110-2017
2018 – Uciec od zgiełku do… Ełku (To Run Away from All That Fuss to… the City of Ełk) – aseries of traveller’s essays; the Podlaski Senior website; http://podlaskisenior.pl/uciec-od-zgielku-do-elku
2017 – Twoja grawitacja (Your Gravitation) – a short story; [in] 2017. Antologia współczesnych polskich opowiadań (The 2017 Anthology of Contemporary Polish Short Stories); Forma; http://www.wforma.eu/2017-antologia-wspolczesnych-polskich-opowiadan.html
2017 – Spotkanie (The Meetiong) – a short story; the Helikopter magazine, 10/2017;http://opt-art.net/helikopter/10-2017/miloslawa-malzahn-spotkanie
2017 – Slowstany (The Slow States) – a short story; the ZNAKmonthly, (745) 6/2017; http://www.miesiecznik.znak.com.pl/745-spis-tresci
2016 – Dziennikarz i kwantowy żywioł (The Journalist and the Quantum Elements) – an essay; the Helikopter magazine, 12/2016; http://opt-art.net/helikopter/12-2016/milka-malzahn-dziennikarz-i-kwantowy-zywiol
2016 – Papierówki(The White Transparent)– a short story; the Helikopter magazine, 6/2016; http://opt-art.net/helikopter/6-2016/milka-malzahn-papierowki-fragment
2015 – Pierwszy stos (The First Stake) –a short story; the Helikopter magazine, 12/2015; http://opt-art.net/helikopter/12-2015/milka-o-malzahn-pierwszy-stos
2014 – Projekt Mężczyzna (Project Man) – a short story; http://opowiadanie.org/eng-info/no-one-ever-the-anthology
2014 – Spotkałam panią Dalloway i… (I Met Mrs Dalloway and…) – an essay; the eleWatorquarterly, (8) 2/2014; http://www.elewator.org/archiwum/nr-8-22014-kwiecienczerwiec
2014 – Aparat Cortázara (Cortázar’s Camera) – an essay; the eleWatorquarterly, (7) 1/2014; http://www.elewator.org/archiwum/nr-7-12014-styczenmarzec
2014 – Eine Schere für den Herrn aus Papier (Scissors for Men of Paper) – a short story (translated into German by Bernhard Hartmann); [in] Jahrbuch Polen 2014: Männer (Yearbook Poland 2014: Men); Harrassowitz Verlag; https://www.deutsches-polen-institut.de/publikationen/jahrbuch-polen/jahrbuch-polen-2014
2013 – Chronosoterapia (Chronosotherapy)– an essay; the Fabularie quarterly, (1) 1/2013; https://issuu.com/fabularie/docs/fabularie-nr1-issuu
2013 – Punkt obserwacyjny(The Ovservation Point) – a short story; the Helikopter magazine, 10/2013; http://opt-art.net/helikopter/10-2013/milka-o-malzahn-punkt-obserwacyjny
2013 – Poszukuję krajobrazu(I Am Searching for a Landscape) – a Lublin.rmxe-book; Warsztaty Kultury
2013 – Sezon na sardynki(The Season for Sardines) – a short story; the Helikopter magazine, 12/2012, 1/2013; http://opt-art.net/helikopter/12-2012/milka-o-malzahn-sezon-na-sardynki-1; http://opt-art.net/helikopter/1-2013/milka-o-malzahn-sezon-na-sardynki-2
2012 – Kamieniołom (The Quarry), Pozdrowienia z cienia (Greetings from the Shadow) – short stories; the Helikopter magazine 6/2012; http://opt-art.net/helikopter/6-2012/milka-o-malzahn-proza
2011 – Starcy w Ritzu (Greybeards in the Ritz) – a short story; [in] 2011. Antologia współczesnych polskich opowiadań (The 2011 Anthology of Contemporary Polish Short Stories); Forma;http://www.wforma.eu/206,2011.-antologia-wspolczesnych-polskich-opowiadan.html
2015 – A scholarship by the Marshal of Podlasie: half a year to write the White Transparent short story.
2014 – A scholarship by the City of Toruńto prepare a mini-radio play and to create an active website for the novel: The Queen of Rhubarb.
2007 – A scholarship by the Minister of Culture and National Heritage to write the Fronasz novel.
2015 Dis Cover – Donna Regina; as Recorded by [Various Artists], an internationalmusic project;
2005 Sequel (Gusstaff Rec); modern electronic music
2003 Mapa (OffMusic Rec); trip hop sung poetry
She is a poet, prose writer and playwright, lyricist and vocalist, theater instructor (graduated in 1992 in Ciechanow), philosopher ( PhD in Russian philosophy at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun in 2013) ;
Since 1992 she works as a journalist in Polish media; now- in the Department of Polish Radio In Bialystok
Since 2016 she cooperate with the University of Bialystok as a lecturer
- 2001 Baroness Late Autumn (2001) short story collections
- 2001 Things that Have Transpired a book of poetry
- 2004 The Queen of Rhubarb a novel
- 2007 There’s No Mono – There Are Short Stories
- 2012 Fronasz a novel, http://www.wforma.eu/42,fronasz.html
- 2014 Space at the Ritz a novel http://www.wforma.eu/kosmos-w-ritzu.html
- 2015 A Former Tsar’s 9 Moments of Spring a novel
- 2017 the micro-story „In the mantle of the world” by Książnica Podlaska (e-book 2018) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd0gDcLyE-k
PUBLICATIONS IN ART JOURNALS AND ANTHOLOGIST (last 5 years):
- 2016 „Papierówki” – short story about idea of Slow Life – in Helicopter 8/2016
- 2014 Project Man/ projekt mężczyzna http://opowiadanie.org/eng-info/no-one-ever-the-anthology/
- 2014 „Spotkałam panią Dalloway i…” – eleWator 8 (2/2014)
- 2014 „Aparat Cortazara”, eleWator. kwartalnik literacko – kulturalny nr 7 (1/2014).
- 2014 „Nożyczki” in German lanquage: ”Eine Schere fur den Herrn aus papier” INHALT Jahrbuch Polen 2014 Manner s 219 – 226 (tłum Bernhard Hartmann)http://www.deutsches-polen-institut.de/publikationen/jahrbuch-polen/jahrbuch-polen-2014
- 2013 „Chronosoterapia”– Fabularie, str. 46-48. Kultura: stan najnowszy, Bydgoszcz, Karnowski, 1 (1) 2013
- 2013 „Punkt obserwacyjny”– OPT Helikopter, 10, 2013.
- 2013 „Poszukuję krajobrazu” – e-book Lublin.rmx , wyd. Warsztaty Kultury, Lublin,
- 2013 „Sezon na sardynki” – OPT Helikoper 2013.
- 2012 ”Pozdrowienia z cienia”, „Kamieniołom”, „Po śnie” opowiadania – OPT Helikoper, czerwiec 2012.
- 2011 „Starcy w Ritzu” in anthology – „2011. Antologia współczesnych polskich opowiadań”, P. Nowakowski, A. Sroka, (red.), wyd. Forma, Szczecin
- 2003 „Map” (OFFMUSIC Rec) album recorded with Jacaszek; it was used to call a „trip hop singing poetry „.
- 2005 „SEQUEL” (GUSSTAFF Rec); a second album with Jacaszek, continuation of joining together modern electronic music and „singing poetry”.
- 2015 Various Artists – Discover – Donna Regina as recorded by, see on https://karaokekalk.bandcamp.com/track/lets-get-slow-wolniej-b-d-version-by-mi-ka
- 2001 she founded in Toruń, with Waldemar Ślefarski, Gallery of Vision, events combining photography and poetry, first step to organize festival Majowy Buum Poetycki (which still exist in Torun);
- 2007 she was the quest of many festivals e.g 3rd festiwal sztuka opowiadania Wroclaw
- 2009 XV Festival of books in Torun (XV Toruński Festiwal Książki 2009)
- 2010 her drama ” Corridor ” (first place at the National Competition dramatic „Mirror. Picture. Illusion” in Łódź ) was reading in public during the Festival Białysztuk in Białystok.
- 2015 on the stage of the Municipal Theatre in Inowroclaw was played premiere of „Corridor” based on that Malzahn’ splay.
- she writes scenario of cultural events, works as a master of ceremony, and host – in 26/03 2015 she hosted a meeting with Salla Simukka – Finnish author of best-selling crime novels for young people (organized by Białostocki Ośrodek Kultury, Foksal Publishing Group and the Embassy of Finland) http://bok.bialystok.pl/en/events/event/salla-simukka-finnish-author-of-best-selling-crime-novels-for-young-people/
- 2015 and she was host at 6. Festiwal Zebrane in Bialystok https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI2mPRQ24QY
- 2017 as philosopher she published in scientific journals, also translated early achievements of the Russian philosopher Nikolai Berdyaev – „Kronos” 2013, nr 3. https://uwb.academia.edu/Mi%C5%82kaMalzahn
- 2015 Scholarship of the Marshal of Podlasie, half-yearly, to write a book „Pulpwood”
- 2014 Scholarship city of Torun for the preparation of mini-radio play and to create an active website dedicated to the novel „The Queen of Rhubarb” 2004.
- 2007 Scholarship of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage to write a novel „Fronasz”
A poet, prose writer and playwright, lyricist and vocalist; she has published short story collections – Baroness Late Autumn (2001) and There’s No Mono. There Are Short Stories (2007) – Space at the Ritz (2014) a novel entitled The Queen of Rhubarb (2004) , Fronasz (2012) and a book of poetry called Things that Have Transpired (2001), A Former Tsar’s 9 Moments of Spring (2015); she also has to her credit the trip-hop album Map (2004) and (Sequel 2005); she lives in Białystok.
There can be no doubt that the most interesting part of Miłka O. Malzahn’s wide-ranging oeuvre is her prose. Beginning with her debut collection of short stories, Baroness Late Autumn, the writer has spoken in her own, recognizable and well established language. In the most general terms one might situate Malzahn’s prose in the genre of women’s literature, though this would not be entirely accurate, as the author “puts a twist” – to paraphrase the title of one of the works in her debut volume – on what most Polish female prose writers do.
She does not bring elements of feminist ideology into her texts, she doesn’t depict the fate of women as marginalized, she doesn’t paint genre scenes from the lives of modern women. What she does do is try to bring the reader into the world of women, showing him/her the peculiarities of a feminine sensibility and perspective on the world. She writes of women’s search for their own identity (The Queen of Rhubarb), of complex male-female relationships, and of the friendships between women of different ages (Baroness Late Autumn, There’s No Mono). At the same time, she avoids a naive sort of realism. Malzahn would seem to be not only interested in a depiction of “hard reality,” but also in penetrating the ontologically unstable realm of dreams, the imagination, hallucination, or simply fiction. It is there, in that space between the truth and invention, that she seeks responses to the fundamental questions: Who is the modern woman, and what is she like? In searching her out, she creates fascinating portraits of women that are far from the stereotypical images in today’s women’s prose.
Malzahn plays with conventions, multiplies the levels of fiction, thus creating a refined and intriguing prose that could satisfy both those in search of literary tidbits and passionate plot devourers. You might say that this prose is as delicate, whispered, and atmospheric as a fado, a form which appears in the title of one of her stories in There’s No Mono.
Miłka Malzahn – a poet, prose writer and playwright, lyricist and vocalist, theater instructor (graduated in 1992), philosopher ( PhD in Russian philosophy at the Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun in 2013) ; she has published short story collections – Baroness Late Autumn (2001), a book of poetry called Things that Have Transpired (2001) The Queen of Rhubarb (2004) , and There’s No Mono – There Are Short Stories (2007) a novel Fronasz (2012), Space at the Ritz (2014) A Former Tsar’s 9 Moments of Spring (2015) many publications in literary journals and anthologies; she also has to her credit the trip-hop album Map (2004) and (Sequel 2005); and still sings from time to time (in 2015 – Various Artists – Discover – Donna Regina as recorded by, see on http://milkamalzahn.pl/donna-regina-i-lets-get-slow-wolniej-badz-by-milka ) In 2001 she founded in Toruń, cooperate with Waldemar Ślefarski, Gallery of Vision, events combining photography and poetry, first step to organize festival Majowy Buum Poetycki (still exist, without the Originators now ); she writes plays – in 2010 her drama ” Corridor ” (first place at the National Competition dramatic „Mirror. Picture. Illusion” in Łódź ) was reading in public during the Festival Białysztuk in Białystok. On the occasion of publication each of her books she, as an author, prepares special events carrying a book in another dimension : images, sounds, shadows , etc.
Since 1999 she works as a journalist; in the Department of Polish Radio In Bialystok, now.
In 2014, the Jahrbuch des Deutschen Polen-Instituts (yearbook of the German Polish Institute) attends to the Polish man. In the wake of the dramatic changes taking place in Polish society, in particular as a consequence of EU accession in 2004, especially young people in urban surroundings are rejecting traditional family ties and practicing what was until recently still considered taboo or appeared exotic. Where the traditional order starts to wobble, established gender roles also need to be redefined and restructured: up until now, the Polish man has enjoyed a privileged status, which is now being challenged at all levels.
Jahrbuch Polen. Jahrbuch Des Deutschen Polen-Instituts Darmstadt / Jahrbuch Polen 25 (2014). Manner
SEQUEL is a song album by Jacaszek and Miłka Malzahn – poet and singer. This is a kind of „singing poetry” where poetic text exists together with modern electronic music. It could be named a „poetic electronic swing” , but this of course is too simple description. SEQUEL is a music story of lost, broken or unfinished love, of feelengs, images, and dreams .